We understand the decision to transition to long-term care is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. We want to ensure your decision is a positive one. Below are some of our home’s points of difference:
The calendar is always full. You can be as active as you like.
For some people, the key to living better is filling every day with meaningful activities that bring people together, build bonds and create shared experiences.
Whether it’s tapping the power of music to engage a resident with dementia, attending worship services, participating in exercise classes, or reminiscing with a friendly volunteer, there’s always something going on at Extendicare Red River Place. Check “News & Events”
Here, residents lead active and engaged lives.
This is home. Your home.
We want you to feel at home. We’ll support you in becoming an active and engaged member of your new community and enjoy life to the best of your ability.
We have a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Not only do we work very hard to integrate residents into our community and feel at home, we’re also committed to making families feel at home here too. The following are some of the measures we take to help our residents settle in and also help family members feel comfortable and get involved:
- Meet Your Primary Caregiver: Upon arrival, new residents and family members meet their Primary Caregiver in an effort to immediately begin establishing a relationship of trust.
- Family Support: We work hard at maintaining open and positive communication with family members so they feel included and always welcomed in our home.
- Welcome Home: Within 24 hours of arrival, new residents receive a touch quilt as a welcome gift from the home.
- Resident Care Plan: Family members, along with their loved one, participate actively in all aspects of the development of the resident’s Care Plan.
- Personalize Your Room: Residents are encouraged to bring some personal items and furnishings from home to make their rooms feel more familiar and comfortable.
- Television Availability: We are able to offer residents a reduced cable rate if they want to have their own television in their room.
- Resident Involvement: Staff members focus on including new residents in programs as soon as possible and introducing them to other residents.
- Hors d’oeuvres Evening: We host an annual hors d’oeuvres evening at Christmas for family members and residents.
- Family Dining Area: We have a separate family dining area where family members can join us for a meal.
- Family Participation: Family members are encouraged and welcomed to participate in activities with their loved one.
- Open Door Policy: Should a family member need to talk, our open door policy ensures we’re always available to listen.
We connect you to the community.
Maintaining strong connections to others is essential to keeping people active and involved.
Getting you out into the community and bringing the community into our home is important to your quality of life. Here are some of the ways in which the residents and staff get involved with the community, and how the community connects with us:
- Resident Outings: Weather permitting; we have 2 outings every month for residents. These outings can include everything from shopping excursions and Christmas light tours to a trip for ice cream or a summer barbeque.
- Student Placement Opportunities: We provide placement opportunities for students in the Health Care Aide programs at Red River College and Herzing College.
- Community Service Opportunities: We provide local high school students opportunities to earn their 40 community service credit.
- Alzheimer’s Society Partnership: We partner with the Alzheimer’s Society in the community and actively support their fund raising efforts.
- Remembrance Day Service: Many of our residents are veterans and we work closely with the local Legion, which conducts their Remembrance Day Service at our home each year.