How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Red River Place, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Reminiscing Sessions: Many of our programs are focused on helping residents living with dementia connect with things and activities from their past. We engage residents in reminiscing sessions to help them connect with their past and talk about their favourite movies, music and other memories as a way to keep them social.
- Serene Setting: Our home overlooks the Red River in a very quiet rural-like setting at the end of a quiet residential street. Outside, groomed and landscaped grounds surround our home, with a quiet beautiful courtyard as a focal point. Inside, natural light floods the welcoming interior and a huge kindle stone fireplace creates a warm and friendly atmosphere for staff, family and residents.
- Live Entertainment: We regularly have a variety of live entertainment and music in our home.
- Exercise Classes: Exercise classes are held 3 times a week that focus on general fitness, balance, flexibility and strength.
- Intergenerational Program: In our Intergenerational Program, elementary students from our local school spend an afternoon a month with our residents.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: At our Monthly Birthday Bash, residents enjoy a cake, candles, a card on their table and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday”.
- Baking Club: Our Baking Club meets once a month and fill the home with wonderful aromas.
- Manicure Fridays: Every Friday all the ladies love getting their nails done.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
In February 2015, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that it would no longer be a criminal offence in Canada for physicians to assist someone to end their life in certain circumstances.
On June 17, 2016 the federal government passed legislation that details the circumstances in which a person may be eligible for an assisted death.
To learn more, please visit http://www.wrha.mb.ca/maid/.